[pianotech] Best way to change touch on Yamaha Grand

Denise Rachel pp-ff at verizon.net
Thu Jan 7 07:42:04 MST 2010

Hi,

I have  been intrigued by your discussion of key stick to balance rail
relationships.  I'm hoping somebody could take a moment to consider my
choices on fixing the piano with the excessively thick white key
covers.  The blacks are original.

Which is better?

1.  removing wood from the bottom of the white keys to get clearance
around the black key frame felt?

2.  installing new taller blacks to go along with the new thicker
whites?   This seems like the right choice to me, but after reading
your posts I've become concerned that this may alter the weighting.
The keys at rest will be tipped forward, as if  already in play.  Is
this situation in any way related to your discussion of cutting the
balance rail felts or installing the strip of wood along the pins?  I
had never considered that changing the angle of the key at the pin
would affect touch and would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Denise