[pianotech] Action Ratios

Jude Reveley (Absolute Piano) juderev at verizon.net
Thu Jan 7 06:50:34 MST 2010

The numbers are neither arbitrary nor selected just to make a data sheet work. If you were to design an action from scratch, you have to start somewhere and  design regulation specs that seem arbitrary from the outside, turn out to be interdependent. If the piano is already built, one would build the action from the top down; that is, certain criteria are already inferred such as entrance height, casepart dimensions, string heights and strike ratios that will ultimately determine the key height, stack location, certain lever arm dimensions, bore distance etc. The final determinations would be key proportion and rail heights. This makes what we encounter when we're restoring an existing action quite counterintuitive, where we're given a start and an end, but have to make sense of the middle and still conform to normal regulation specification ranges.

If you look closer at my example, I didn't change the blow distance at all and it remains at 46mm. I used the full overall travel of the hammer along its arc relative to the keydip without interference from let-off or the string. If anything, aftertouch is the most flexible if you acknowledge that is ultimately the by-product of the entire action design set-up. Also defining aftertouch as the moment the tender hits the jack is different than defining it as the bump you feel in the key, which explains the difference between 2.6mm and 1.5mm versus say 1mm. To try to force an action to have 46mm blow and 1mm aftertouch when you already have defined specs for string heights, lever arms, stack location, key proportions, take your pick, just won't work.

Gotta go tuning but I hope I clarified more than confused. Good luck.

Best,

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
www.absolute-piano.com