[pianotech] Best way to change touch on Yamaha Grand

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 7 12:36:09 MST 2010

Hi Denise,

To demonstrate the punching trick, measure the up and down weights on the key. Then take a half-punching, glue it on a paper punching--matching the thickness of the original punching as much as possible. Remove the original punching and place the half-punching combo on the balance rail (making sure the felt is to the rear of the balance hole). Measure the up and down weights again after you insert the half punching combo. You will see/feel the difference.

Also you could turn the punching combo so the half punching is in the front, that will make the down weight go up.

Yes, it's possible to glue in thin strips of veneer, etc. along the balance rail, but then you would need to make changes in punchings to adjust the key height. Using the original punchings as half-punchings is the quick and dirty way of accomplishing the task.

Think teeter-totter--adjusting the fulcrum so kids/people of unequal weight can ride on it at the same time and still have fun. :-)

Barbara Richmond, RPT
snowed-in near Peoria, Illinois