[pianotech] Growing leads

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Thu Jan 7 15:13:31 MST 2010

Richard

Why some leads in some pianos corrode, and other don't, is a mystery, but it is not caused by moving the piano. High humidity does make it worse, as I have seen a lot of this here in Hawaii. When the leads turn to powder, then the only solution is to change them. If they are just swollen, without the powder, they can be chiseled off, and then sealed with shellac.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789