[pianotech] PUNCHING TRICK ???

JWyatt1492 at aol.com JWyatt1492 at aol.com
Thu Jan 7 15:53:50 MST 2010

Hello to All.

    For the last 50 or so years the punching "Trick"
has been called  " Clipping the Centers ".

   It is  not necessary  to do any gluing. You   clip
the center rail felt just a little in front of the center
pin hole  then replace the punching, clipped side
forward.

   It is generally thought this will make about one
gram difference  (lighter)  give or take. I use my
center pin cutter to do this procedure.

  If you can understand the principal of a see-saw
then you understand the principal of a lever.

   The Herz- Erard action is a group of levers working
with each other.   Five  ( 5 )  to be exact. Not  50
just five.   Its really  " not "  that  hard to figure  out
how to change touch knowing the key depth and the
hammer blow distance.

   You lighten the load, change the fulcrum or reduce
friction. Maybe  one,  two or some of all  three. You
do not have to make things complicated unless you
have  " the need ".

Jack Wyatt
Dallas,