[pianotech] Action Ratio sidebar

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Thu Jan 7 20:17:40 MST 2010

I've been following the ongoing discussion about action ratios with
interest.  Yesterday I had need to visit the Wessell, Nickel, and Gross
website, and noticed something interesting in the Half Stroke article listed
under what's new.  As all of you know, the magic  (half stroke) line for the
naturals will not be the same for the sharps because the distance from the
sharp balance rail pin to the capstan is less than that of the natural.  WNG
recommends using a capstan heel that is 2 mm thicker than that for the
natural - if the natural capstan heel is 19 mm, then you use a 21 mm for the
sharps.  This way both naturals and sharps can be properly set up and
observe the half stroke line.  This is easily accomplished because the WNG
repetitions are modular, with the capstan heel a separate piece that is
glued into the bottom of the rep lever, and there are many sizes available.

Today when I called I was told that the reps normally ship with only one
kind of heel, but that they will make the substitution for the sharps on
request.  I've got a Steinway A that I am setting the action up on now, and
will use this setup.   It will be interesting.

Will Truitt