[pianotech] Key weights, was Best way to change touch on Yamaha Grand

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Thu Jan 7 22:47:40 MST 2010

All good and well, and I agree with what you've put forth.  But your example
isn't really representative of the suggestion I was making.  My suggestion,
(to follow your hypothetical example further) is more well represented by an
example in which we have a single key stick in two different
configurations.  In these two key sticks, one with a 1lb. weight at 10
inches, the other with a 0.75lb. weight at 10 inches.  In this case, we
achieve lower moments of inertia and a slightly higher (but not
unacceptable) DW in the key with weight removed.  The suggestion I made in
the original post was that slightly lower moments of inertia with a slightly
higher DW might be favorable to a slightly higher moments of inertia and
slightly lower DW.

So, in the case of the scenario I was trying to put forth, the heavier key
will resist the repeated changes of direction, yes?

It's a bit of a red herring at this point, as I don't think any of us are
suggesting isolating the leading at the front of the key above all else.

WRM