[pianotech] Re;Solid tuning

tcc440 at netscape.net tcc440 at netscape.net
Fri Jan 8 05:56:19 MST 2010

David Nereson, RPT   Wrote:
 """  Is "rock solid" really possible?   And for how long?  I have
a client who calls me every time a unison develops a slow roll.
She must have a super-sensitive ear.  She does pay me to come
over and touch-up a few notes, but jeez, to get up, load up,
drive over, touch up notes, pack up, & drive back oughta be
worth at least $50.  I hate to charge that much each time, and
feel guilty that my tuning didn't stay perfectly solid.
Sometimes it's only been a few weeks.  But even a former PTG
brochure about tuning admitted that no piano holds a tuning
perfectly for more than 24 hours. Can't people tolerate some
slight out-of-tuneness for a few months?  I can.  It has to be
quite bad before I refuse to play it.
    To me, it should be sorta like mowing the lawn.  If it looks
good when you're done, great.  No need to make sure each blade
of grass is to the nearest millimeter (like tuning to the
nearest 10th of a cent), and if a few blades grow faster than
others in between mowings, so what?  The lawn still looks good
as a whole.  Just accept the longer blades of grass as a little
"flavor," variety, or "spice," and live with it until the next
mowing.
      If you're a Horowitz, that's different. """

Wow,David. That was eloquent!!  I could not have said it better.  I have several clients like that. These are people I respect and
will do practically anything for.  But  I tried something a little different with them.
I procured a student tuning hammer and a few wire mutes for each of them and trained them to  identify the offending string
and either mute it  or  bring it back into tune.....     Yes  I did...  And it has worked wonderfully.   So far I have not created
any "Monsters"

Tom Cobble  RPT