[pianotech] PUNCHING TRICK ???

Kerry kerrykean at att.net
Fri Jan 8 10:47:12 MST 2010

I've never tried this, but those numbers are interesting and raise some
questions for me, especially the UW/DW relationship, where the UW is reduced
by almost as much as the DW. Would you ascribe the effect strictly to spring
action when the front of the punching is first compressed and then released?
If so, how much difference would thick vs. thin punchings make? How much of
the weight difference (in the case of the original whole punching) goes away
as the punchings are compressed in front through use? (if it changes much at
all, leveling the keys and replacing the punchings in a different
orientation would seem to produce random key-weight changes). Would the
effect be mitigated by beveling the balance rail at the point where the pin
enters the rail (ignoring for the moment the problem of likewise beveling
the rail under the sharps)? These all would seem to be random variables in
the key-weight equation that I've never considered before and make me wonder
if some of the weigh-offs that I've done could have been avoided.

On a related note, has anyone retrofitted a standard keyboard with S&S
bearings? How much difference did it make and how much trouble was it?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer any of these.

Kerry Kean

www.ohiopianotuner.com <http://www.ohiopianotuner.com/>

  _____