[pianotech] Assessing potential for rebuilding

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jan 8 17:17:46 MST 2010

I am finding that more and more individuals are open to rebuilding their non
premium named pianos including new soundboards and complete actions etc.  I
currently have several such projects either in the shop or waiting to come
in.  The argument is that they already have the piano and when properly
redesigned with attention paid to scale, soundboard and action, and with
careful  execution, these pianos will perform as well as any other piano
(thank you Del Fandrich for starting me down this path some years ago now).
Assessing the potential in these pianos, it seems, requires mostly an
assessment of the plate and rim.  While I have my own criteria for making
that assessment, I'm interested to know what criteria others involved in
this type of endeavor would use to assess the rebuilding potential of an
instrument, specifically as it relates to the rim and the plate.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com