[pianotech] Ethics of prop sticks.

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Jan 8 18:48:07 MST 2010

The theatre have an 1894 Steinway B (or the then equivalent). It was
rebuilt by Steinway about 30 years ago and is beautiful.  It only has a
one-piece lid prop, as they did at that time.  I have been asked about a
short prop: the piano is mostly used for  accompaniment rather than
recitals these days.

I have written showing the director I deal with, outlining the options
of the short brass prop from Pianotech which would be fitted alongside
the existing prop stick, or replacing the existing original prop with a
new two-piece prop stick, stained and polished to match.

My initial thought was that the replacement would be the nicer option.
But tonight I am having qualms. The existing stick is the original. If I
replace it, will the piano cease to be "authentic" in some way?  (Albeit
the action got lots of new stuff 30 years ago).

What do you think folks?

Best regards,

David Boyce