[pianotech] rock solid for how long?

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 8 19:19:53 MST 2010

Your story David, reminded me of 30 years ago when I was called to tune for
Ronnie Milsap for a downtown concert.  He took his own piano with him.  I
was there for the tuning at the pre-scheduled time, 1:00 PM only to be
informed that the piano was still about 3 hours away yet.  The concert was
at 7 or 8 PM, I don't recall anymore, Ronnie wanted to also do sound checks
and practice on the piano.  I almost walked out.  In fact, I told the guy,
I'm not waiting here for 3 hours.  He said, well, you have too!!! We want
YOU to do the tuning! That's why we called YOU!  I smiled and said, okay.
but, I will be paid for my time standing here doing nothing plus the cost of
tuning and any other thing that may need adjusting on the piano.  He said,
the manager won't be to happy about that.  I said, I couldn't care less.
It's my time, not his.  I'd rather walk away and go tune elsewhere than to
stand here waiting for 3 hours anyway.  He said, wait...  So, I waited, and
I waited.  4 hours later at 5 PM, the piano finally arrived.  When it did, I
said, once that piano is set up, I'm tuning it whether you like it or not.
You can do your sound checks after that.  I hour later, I finished tuning.
That's all the time they gave me.  I gave them my bill for which I had
already requested payment on the spot for $150 for my standby time for 4
hours, plus my tuning fee.   Yep, he was right, the manager complained
alright.  I simply said, what would you have any other service man do?  For
that matters, what have you paid all of these other people standing here
waiting for you to arrive?  Are they standing here around for free?  I
received total silence.  I also received full payment.  Of course, he asked
Ronnie how the tuning was (as if he would really know).  He said marvelous.
I was called back in the following few years when he was still coming around
here but, from that time on, they made darn sure the piano was there BEFORE
I got there.

Jer