[pianotech] rock solid for how long?

Kerry kerrykean at att.net
Sat Jan 9 13:28:39 MST 2010

-----Original Message-----

From: Gerald Groot [mailto:tunerboy3 at comcast.net]

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:02 PM

To: pianotech at ptg.org

Subject: Re: [pianotech] rock solid for how long?

True Kerry,

But, tuning is considerably different that repairing or plumbing work.  If

it is indeed the fault of the technician, faulty pin setting for example,

then by all means, it should be fixed for nothing.  Within a short

reasonable amount of time that is.  Not months or even a year later.

As I said, within a week or so. Anything that could reasonably be construed
as a flaw in tuning technique should actually show up much sooner than that
but in my mind, it's a question of keeping the customer happy within reason,
not standing on some absolute principle. And I don't see how that's
different from any other service business.

If it is a piano where the tuning creeps, if it has pins that jump, like

Some Steinway verticals do, then that is another matter.  It becomes utterly

impossible to keep some of these pianos in tune if they refuse to cooperate.

We cannot be held accountable for this type of problem or weather changes.

We can only do the best that we can do with it explaining this to the

customer.

If you recall, I was talking about pianos that I tune regularly; in that
case you should be aware of that kind of difficulty, and I suggest you
explain that you will do your best but cannot guarantee the tuning, and if
that's not satisfactory, they need to find someone else.

I've never once had a complaint that the piano went out of tune that was due

to being my fault.  In fact, it is almost always something else such as a

sticking key, a pencil that managed to miraculously appear inside of it or

it was a voicing issue or a couple of months or more had passed in which

case the tuning will have changed to some degree or another anyway.

Customers must be made aware of these facts.  If they are not taught the

causes of pianos going out of tune, they will never know it.

Yep, my experience is pretty much the same, and usually when they call after
two months and find out it's going to cost them, I never hear from them
again (and it's never my regulars). My only point was that it's important to
oblige clients within reason (they're not always right, but they are always
the customer ;-). Beyond educating them, I try to meet them at least
half-way and if they won't come that far, I don't want them anyway.