[pianotech] In a quandry

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 9 18:01:36 MST 2010

My college prefer's their Steinway grands to JUST dampen the strings.  I do
mean, JUST too!  They begin to move immediately when the key is moved.  It
is a tricky situation to set the dampers so that they shut off but yet, lift
exactly as the key is pushed down.  Some ringing is likely to take place in
situations such as this one.  But, I try and eliminate it as much as
possible.  I would adjust the spoons as equally as possible with the action
removed maybe using a string or something else as a guide so that they just
shut off and leave it at that.  I would certainly explain the situation in
advance however to cover your own butt.  As you said, they were never
correct to begin with however, if she likes that touch and feel, we adjust
accordingly.

Jer Groot RPT