[pianotech] Laminotomy and getting back to work

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Sun Jan 10 00:01:27 MST 2010

Greetings friends,

I am about to have surgery on my spine this next Saturday (1/16) down at Scripps in La Jolla.  They are using micro-discectomy and a laminotomy (hemi-laminectomy) at L5 (Lumbar) with a disc decompression.  No fusion, but cleaning up a pretty large herniation that's been bugging me for months.

I'm starting to get lots of new clients and projects lining up, but my doctor says I'm going to be down for at least 1-2 months, maybe 3, and I have to watch my movement, twisting, bending, lifting, etc.

Has anyone had anything similar to this before?  If so, how long before you could return to normal work?  limited work?  shop work?

The sciatic pain has been killing me, but the neurosurgeon says  that should be gone after surgery. I'm looking forward to that!

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Regards,

Rob McCall
McCall Piano Service, LLC