[pianotech] Best Coil Lifter?

Amadeus Piano amadeuspiano at comcast.net
Sun Jan 10 12:31:52 MST 2010

Can anyone recommend a coil lifter that fits well between all the tuning
pins and that works well in general and is good and solid?

I started with the Schaff #146 but the end broke and they replaced it with a
#134, and the #134 is esp. difficult to get at the bottom of the coil when
the pins are close.

And I've had a bunch of tools break recently, all purchased in the last
year.  My Mannino hook dropped, hit the floor and broke at the weld; my
Sciortino Insta-coiler broke at the hook/tip while using; my looping machine
arrived with a broken hook tip, and the coil lifter (146) broke while trying
to tighten coils.  Schaff has been cool about it, replaced the insta-coiler,
the hook for the looping machine, and the coil lifter, but now I'm a bit
gun-shy with these tools-they seem to break so easily.

Looking around I see what might be good choices, but I'd love to hear what
others use, what fits between all the pins, and what will last for a long
while.  The ones with the wood handles look like they might work well, e.g.,
the #CL-8 at pianotek or the #3151 at Schaff.  The #146 worked fairly well
until the tip broke off so I'm looking for something sturdier.

I just finished restringing a Chickering Quarter Grand where some of the
pins are really tightly configured and I can't get to the bottom of some of
the coils on the center tuning pins.

Thanks, Gary

AMADEUS PIANO

www.amadeuspiano.net