[pianotech] In a quandry

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sun Jan 10 12:49:49 MST 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Don <pianotuna at accesscomm.ca> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Yes, she is complaining. Another tuner referred her to me. Hence the
> situation where there is no history.

I dunno, seems pretty straight forward to me.  The problem is the damper
timing is poorly regulated.  A simple, unapologetic explanation of the
problem, the solution, and the likely change in touchweights should
suffice.  If she wants the ringing fixed, she'll have to deal with the
change in action feel.  Don't make her problem your problem.  Just explain
it and fix it, or don't.  Her call.  This isn't to say you can't be somewhat
accommodating, and leave the timing on the early side, but I don't believe
I'd try for anything like what Gerald has described.  Leave a margin so you
don't have any bleeding, and still retain some of the resistance if that's
what she wants.

Good luck,
William R. Monroe