[pianotech] Laminotomy and getting back to work

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Sun Jan 10 13:13:53 MST 2010

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the great feedback! What you had is pretty much what I'm going to have, but down near L5. The shooting pain is a pain in the butt...  Well, quite literally, :-) along with the whole left leg. Half my foot is already numb so that wouldn't be any change for me.

I've been doing Physical therapy for the last 3 weeks in preparation for the surgery.  They are telling me that strengthening all those muscles before I go in, will lead to a quicker recovery.

I tuned a 1980 Kimball 42" console yesterday that hadn't been tuned in 12 years.  It was off 80 cents. During the pitch raise, one of the bichord bass strings broke (A2).  Getting down below the keybed and back up to the top to fix it was like someone stabbing an ice pick in my leg the whole time I was working.  So I'm glad to hear that the pain relief can be instantaneous.

I'm NOT looking forward to the surgery, but I AM looking forward to the relief!

Thanks again for your reassuring words.

Regards,

Rob McCall
McCall Piano Service, LLC