[pianotech] Ivory

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jan 10 21:34:20 MST 2010

Thomas Cole wrote:
> I can't remember being asked for the old ivory, but now that you've
> brought this up, I will in the future declare when the keys are picked
> up that the old ivory will be either discarded because of damage or kept
> for field repairs, to head off such an event happening to me.

I have, and saved it for them. Not on an outside wall, not in
a basement, move it out from the wall to tune (but leave the
45,000 piece Nativity set on top, and the ivories are very
valuable - even if they're celluloid. You know.

> I have spoken to scrimshaw artists about taking old ivory but never got
> anyone interested, even if it was free. Maybe the ivory is too thin?

I've sold a very little to woodworkers and luthiers for inlay
work. I've sold much more music wire to industrial outfits
looking to stretch a high tension straightline, and people
removing windshields.
Ron N