[pianotech] S & S Bearings...was Punching Trick???

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 12 15:16:51 MST 2010

Is there a particular length for the shoe?  I would imagine longer would be better...

David Ilvedson
Pacifica, CA

On Jan 11, 2010, at 6:01 PM, "David Love" <davidlovepianos at comcast.net> wrote:

Not exactly.  When you remove the roller bearing and go to a flat punching you can add a bottom shoe to the keystick that’s the same thickness as the roller bearing you just removed making the key taller and thus stiffer (as with any beam).   Some time back this was addressed here possibly under the heading of “action saturation” referring to the phenomenon of diminishing returns on the production of hammer speed with increasing accelerating of the front of the key because of key flexing.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com