[pianotech] Sostenuto Mount Retrofit

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 13 13:33:21 MST 2010

Ken & Pat Gerler wrote:
 > OK, that is how you attach the SOS rod to the belly, show
the detail at the keybed where the under piano trap work connects.

Ok, here at last are a couple of photos, suitably resized this
time. Yesterday's post was eventually rejected, and my
internet access was down this morning. Ah technology!

Since the plate horn is in the way for the center mount, I
make a steel bracket that screws to the underside of the key
bed and extends up through the enlarged hole into the action
cavity. The screw slots allow fore and aft adjustment, and
vertical adjustment works like the others. Then, I make a
replacement for the monkey, long enough to extend about half
way through the key bed (where there's nothing for the end to
ever catch on), and install a threaded brass rod in the bottom
end. Installed, the threaded rod goes through a hole in the
lever, and is adjusted and secured by a couple of big leather
nuts. The lever gets an added leaf spring, and either capstans
or felt blocks to establish travel limits.

That's it. Sorry, I don't seem to have a photo of the trap
work connection, but it's pretty straightforward and as simple
as I could make it.
Ron N