[pianotech] bang spoons at bears

Ruth Phillips ruth at alliedpiano.com
Thu Jan 14 17:12:32 MST 2010

OK, first time reading the digest in a couple of weeks
so excuse me if I'm behind, but....
Write while laughing!!!  What a classic.  And who among
us cannot say - been there, in one form or another...
like the time I glued myself to an ivory with nobody home
and the solvent in trunk of car...
Bill, you're great.
Ruth
Ruth Phillips
ruth at alliedpiano.com

>Oh my, were you close..........

>The more like tissue your cloth is, the greater the possibility of
combustion.  Really.  Time to come clean.  I used a lot of thin CA on a
REALLY loose pinblock once (yes, I've only done it THIS way, once).  Note to
self: use less CA in the future - less is more.  Then, some of the glue very
quickly went right through the block and started dripping on the keybed.
Note to self: protecting the keybed might be an intelligent step the next
time I try and make lake CA on top of a Pinblock.  I panicked, grabbed the
closest thing that seemed reasonable at the time (key phrase there) and
wadded up a kleenex to start dabbing at the drips coming through the block.
.............wait for it.............  About 5 seconds into this first
fiasco, my kleenex burst into flames.  Really.  Egads, can't have that.
Dropped the kleenex onto the keybed and started using the next most
reasonably available thing to put out the fire - my tuning hammer.  Seemed
reasonable at the time.  Amazing what your mind can convince you is
reasonable when panicked.  I once tried to scare away a black bear by
"banging" two spoons together - but, I digress.

At any rate, careful what medium you choose to do this fix.  Glad your story
was less exciting than mine, John.

William R. Monroe