[pianotech] personal question- where did you learn PT?

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 14 22:11:17 MST 2010

I was one of the first 3 graduates of the Brigham Young University piano technology program.  I received my degree in 1968 and have been a full time technician ever since.  This is the same program that Steve Brady, Rick Baldesson, Des Wilson and many other fine technicians later graduated from.  I have always been grateful to have had such comprehensive training at the beginning of my career.  After graduation I was a partner in a shop in Palo Alto, CA where I was mentored by my partners Bob Burton and Ken Kadwell.  I was also able to do a lot of university work under Bob's supervision and eventually took over those contracts as he neared retirement. All of this led to me being  the technician for Foothill, DeAnza and San Jose City Colleges as well as San Jose State and Santa Clara Universities.  I was also able to tune for the San Francisco Symphony for 12 years.  All of these contracts provided another whole level of education and experience.

Jim