[pianotech] personal question- where did you learn PT?

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 15 03:25:47 MST 2010

Zoe,

I made a 3.5 years full time formal apprenticeship in Germany. I.e. twice a year attending vocational school for 6 weeks in each case, the rest of the time working and learning in a rebuilding workshop of a dealer. The apprenticeship ended up with an external exam of the Chamber of Crafts. The training included all aspects of rebuilding and wood working, as well as tuning and regulating. That was from 1988 to 1991. In 1992 I worked one year for another rebuilding workshop but then I decided to study psychology and earn my money as part time tuner. At that time many of my rebuilding skills became stunted because I only tuned and made some action jobs in field service. But on the other hand I have a PhD in psychology now. In 2007 I decided to leave psychology and to do only honest work anymore :-)  So I set up my own piano store and sell used uprights and new Wendl & Lung pianos. Since I am a one man business the store is opened 3 days a week and I tune in field service the other 3 days of the week.

Gregor

piano technician - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de