[pianotech] age-old question of what to charge for almost nothing

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 03:49:44 MST 2010

    A piano teacher (not my client) calls me out of the blue to
come remove a pencil as soon as possible.  It sure seems
callous, unfeeling, gouging, and unprofessional to charge a full
minimum 1-hour billing fee of $75 just to remove the pencil.
But if we don't, then word gets around that we're cheap, so
everyone calls expecting low rates, and we end up working for
free, almost.  So do I go ahead and charge $75 just to remove a
pencil?
    --David Nereson, RPT