[pianotech] age-old question of what to charge for almost nothing

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 15 16:38:51 MST 2010

What I mean, is this.  I have never once had any other professional service
person come into my home to repair anything and gave away their services for
free because it only took them a couple of minutes.  I wonder why? Maybe,
just maybe, it is because they are making a living at it?

We all make friends with out clients but, that is not my point.  Running a
business as a business for profit, is.  We must be careful not to give away
to much or to often or the word will spread quickly.  So and so didn't even
charge me.  So and so charged me half price.

Here is a prime example.  Many years ago, on more than one occasion, I had
charged a few very good clients a certain price for repairing something.
Those same people then recommended me to their friends for some repairs.  I
did not know this at the time as they did not make mention of who
recommended me nor did I ask.  I spent about the same amount of time
repairing that person's piano but charged them my regular rates and got
called on it.  How do you explain that?  Not so easily...  From that point
forward I deemed it necessary to be fair to everyone including myself by
charging the same prices to everyone.

If one says as you did, "It's not hurting my ability to make a living and
I've never had anyone that I've ended up charging say "but, you didn't
charge so and so".  Not true as per above.  Every time we do something for
nothing, we've lost revenue.

Jer