[pianotech] Tax Question (Business Travel)

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Sun Jan 17 21:05:52 MST 2010

I did no business traveling year, but I did have a question.

How does the IRS differentiate between business and pleasure trips?  For example, you take a trip to visit family, friends and while there, you run across someone needing their piano tuned, which you do, cause you just happen to have brought your tuning kit with you.  If you do any business work while on a pleasure trip, can you then deduct your expenses on your taxes (air travel, hotel, rental car, eating out, etc)?

Matthew