[pianotech] Tax Question (Business Travel)

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Mon Jan 18 07:35:47 MST 2010

Matt,
 I asked my preparer that question some years ago and he advised that I would be asking for trouble if they took a close look. A dedicated trip that is business related is deductable , but if that trip entails costs for more than yourself for more days that the task requires and includes deductions for activities not related to the task it could raise a question .
  I had seen one of these TV financial programs where it was suggested that a vacation could be deducted if you went on a job interview and my guy --who by the way can be quite creative whilst staying within the rules-- said NO !
Why don't you give it a try and report back . In fact come on up to Massachusetts and I'll hook you up with a nice Kincaid spinet to tune. Bring the family and I'll show you around the Bay State.I'll take you to my favorite hardware store and we can look at all those different types of screws.There are pan heads, self tapping ,cheese heads(My personal favorite)  , Metric, set screws, cap nuts---Oh the list goes on and on !
Best wishes,

Tom Driscoll
  Subject:  Tax Question (Business Travel)

        I did no business traveling year, but I did have a question.

        How does the IRS differentiate between business and pleasure trips?  For example, you take a trip to visit family, friends and while there, you run across someone needing their piano tuned, which you do, cause you just happen to have brought your tuning kit with you.  If you do any business work while on a pleasure trip, can you then deduct your expenses on your taxes (air travel, hotel, rental car, eating out, etc)?

        Matthew