[pianotech] Action Ratios Recap

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Mon Jan 18 11:43:47 MST 2010

David Love wrote:

different methods yielded which results."

1) The 5.9 AR yield was obtained by measuring the levers longitudinally;
i.e., no angles at all. For example, key levers are measured parallel,
or horizontal, to the key stick. Ditto on whip and hammer shank -- no
angles, everything longitudinal (more or less). This is a bit
simplistic, but is usually the way the concept of levers is taught in
introductory college courses.

2) RE the 5.7 --- measured on angles. The front key lever, per Pfeiffer,
is measured UNDER the key to the center of balance hole; the rear key
lever is taken from the balance to the top of the capstan (profile).
Ditto with the whip and shank --- all angles (see attachment). This
method is what is usually taught in action classes, with the at-times
difference that the front key lever is taken from the TOP of the front
key, and then angles down to the balance hole.

NOTE: the short shank input lever at the knuckle is taken as an AVERAGE,
which is implied in the attached drawing and penciled in as "1/2
depressed". In the case of the YC action an average shank value of 18.4
mm was used. This is the method I mostly use, tho' I compare with the
other two, particularly the longitudinal method above.

3) RE the 4.6 --- measured exactly the same as the 5.7 with the
exception that the shank input lever is taken from the shank center pin
to the point of contact of the jack-top-to-knuckle at REST --- no half
stroke and no averaging of this lever. Some techs measure this way; to
me it is unrealistically low.

Now, I compared these three ARs with actual hammer rise to key dip and
the best "reading" I came up with was about 5.5 to 1 (hard to be
precise).

This is all a bit crazy as the difference between this "measured" 5.5
and even the highest calculated AR of 5.9 is only 0.40; meaning that at
the key end the relative dip parameter relating to 0.40 "AR" is as small
as 0.07 mm dip (0.003"). Said another way, push hard enough on the key
end to take up the 0.003" dip, and the AR works out to 5.68, which
compares favorably to item #2 above.

RE the SBR stuff --- thanks. I will consider it.

Nick's post:
>I recently evaluated a Young Chang action by physically
> measuring the lever arms using three different methods, resulting in
> three different ARs of 5.9, 5.7 and 4.6. The AR that mostly agrees to
> the actual measurement (a bit tricky to do) of dip and subsequent
hammer rise is the 5.7 AR.

Nick Gravagne, RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Member Society Manufacturing Engineers