[pianotech] Tuner's marks/cards

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 19 06:30:13 MST 2010

I've never felt OK with writing anything on an instrument either (inside or out). I am amazed at the chutzpah of tuners who have signed the plate on grand pianos! One time I pulled off a huge sticker blocking the serial number on a C6. Another time, I was working on an S&S B that had the previous tech's magnetic business card on the plate--when the piano's owner saw it and thought it was glued to the piano, he was really angry.

On the other hand, there was the time I was working on a vertical piano that contained a lot of signatures on the keys, the customer saw it and insisted that I sign it, too. I was contemplating the signatures on a Yamaha P2 that I fixed up (new spring cords, repinned flanges, shaped hammers, regulated, etc.) and wondered why those guys who signed the piano had never bothered to tighten the butt-plate screws... And why is it some people level the white keys but sort of forget to do the black keys?! Oops, I digress...

BTW, the other day I heard one of the sleuths on The History Detectives use "which begs the question" in the way that means "which brings up the question." I thought of you all and smiled...

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois