[pianotech] Tuner's marks/cards

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Jan 19 17:06:27 MST 2010

I think the question is how best to retain useful records while incurring
the least "damage," perceived or real.  Whatever my interpretation of
defacing, it may not align with my client's interpretation.  What they say
goes, as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I generally take all but the most complete and recent records
from other technicians with a healthy grain of salt.  There really are no
guarantees that the records are in any way complete, consistently kept, or
not missing vital information, etc., etc.   Certainly there is information
we can gain, but I think whatever the previous technician wrote or didn't
write is much less informative or useful than a running record of our own
services.  So, as the next tuner, I'm not THAT interested in what went on
before.

It's kind of like when Mrs. Jones says she had a technician out to tune just
two months ago and wasn't happy.  When I come to a piano under these
circumstances, the only thing I can possibly know is that if the piano is
spot on the previous tech did a fine job.  If the piano is in any other
state, I wouldn't presume to judge their work, having no real knowledge of
the circumstances under which they worked.  Same concept applies to these
records of the past from other technicians.

William R. Monroe