[pianotech] Strings made to measure

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 19 19:02:41 MST 2010

David,
Good questions, my answers are inserted where they make the most sense.

David Love wrote:
> What information did you provide when you made the set?
Everything they request at their "how to order" web page, including core
dia, outer dia, hitch to winding start, hitch to winding end, name size
and serial of piano, hitch diameter, etc.  Also some notes:  "all
lengths measured in the piano at pitch", and "If your expertise as
string makers gives you any concerns about making strings to these
specifications, please contact me before starting the job."
> Did you check that
> it was accurate?I've rarely had a problem unless I gave the wrong data butit can happen.  That's why I also calculate the speaking lengths along with
> the string specs.
Measurements of hitch-to-bridgepin and hitch-to-agraffe went into a
spreadsheet for calculation of speaking length and hitch-to-winding
start and end.  Then into p-Scale for scale analysis, where I can see a
plot of speaking lengths confirming a uniform progression of lengths.
I'm pretty sure my specs were good.
> When you look them over you can see if you've made a
> measurement mistake by either mismatched bichord or a speaking length that
> is out of sequence in terms of the overall progression.  Double check your
> measurements against the piano and what you sent them and it should be
> fairly clear where the mistake happened.
The accuracy of my measurements and calculations will be tested when I
install the strings.  But before I can do that, I need strings made to
my dimensions.  The strings I received, measured at zero tension, are up
to 6mm longer than specified (hitch to winding end).  Don't think I'm
going to take this set to the customer's home for installation..