[pianotech] Bluthner 4th string

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jan 19 22:44:24 MST 2010

Thanks. This is a rebuilt one with a section of the 4th strings missing
(lower treble) and I'm wondering what gauge wire is typically there as
compared with the supporting trichord strings.  I don't happen to recall and
I don't run into them that often.  In fact, I can't even recall now to what
pitch they are tuned.  My recollection is that in the lower treble section
they are tuned an octave higher than the supporting trichord and in the
higher treble section they are tuned in unison to the supporting trichord.
That would suggest that the lower capo 4th string is lighter wire which
would make sense otherwise it would be singing rather obnoxiously.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com