[pianotech] Action Ratios Recap - non-ideal approach

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Wed Jan 20 04:38:31 MST 2010

Hi JD:

>"The key pivot centre is not precisely at the balance pin centre;
>rather it pivots about a centre which moves towards the front edge
>of the key balance felt punching as the key is depressed. This
>causes a change on the ratio of the key-capstan pair.

Not on a piano with a properly designed balance rail.  Some balance
rails are quite obviously properly designed, and others are better
designed than they appear at first glance, for example the Steinway."

Could you expand on this, please?  As in how you go about determining how it
is properly designed and avoids the movement of the pivot point towards the
front of the balance rail punching.  Any other comments in addition would be
appreciated also.  Thanks.

Will Truitt