[pianotech] Action Ratios Recap - non-ideal approach

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Wed Jan 20 15:30:13 MST 2010

I thought that perhaps JD was referring to the half barrels (as some call
them), but he did not mention them in his post today - although from his
explanation about the profile of the balance rail, it is not hard to
understand why they might be considered advantageous.

One thing I have noticed about the accelerated action bearings is key hole
wear. Admittedly, I have a very limited sample body of Steinway pianos with
these bearings, and it is therefore dangerous to try to draw conclusions
about the performance of this system as a whole, but it is my observation
that pulley keys seem to develop more quickly with the AAB than the
traditional balance rails.  Whether that is also attributable to less dense
key wood stock, I cannot say.

Other's mileage may vary, but that is my observation from my limited sample.

Will