[pianotech] Renotching-Repinning-Reusing Bridges in rebuild

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Wed Jan 20 15:34:47 MST 2010

I should add that if the bridge is getting nickel/stainless/whatever pins
that are rounded on top, I'll do any depth drilling that is needed as soon
as the old one are out.  Then, when installing, I have two different punches
I use that Dana Mazzaglia (http://www.mazzagliatools.com/) made.  I ground
the tip down on one a little and now I have two depth settings I use for
installing the pins.  For copper pins, I just drive them in and then use the
sander, for nickel/whatever, I drive them with the punch, just short of
marking the top with the punch, then they are all even right away.

William R. Monroe