[pianotech] Renotching-Repinning-Reusing Bridges in rebuild

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jan 20 20:39:02 MST 2010

Not meant as a criticism, just a comment.  I'm usually exchanging #6 pins
for # 7 at least in the capo section on many pianos so it requires a drill
out anyway.  Similarly, most bridges extend #7 pins down through the tenor
and I often go up one size to #8s with predrilling to insure a tight fit.
Also, drilling out insures I don't have to grind down the tops of the pins.
Maybe it doesn't heat them up or stress them but there is a difference
between string pressure and file or belt sander pressure, namely that the
string applies pressure nearer the cap.  The file or belt sander applies
pressure at the very top of the pin which can be quite a ways from the cap.
Some flagpolling can take place which can stress the fit at the cap.  In
general, I don't file or sand the tops of the pins for that reason.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com