[pianotech] Incremental Upright Regulation

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 22 17:56:05 MST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Floyd Gadd <fg at floydgadd.com> wrote:

>  List,
>
> I usually consider a basic tuning to be a 90 minute call, since in our
> Manitoba climate, even the pianos I tune annually seem to need some pitch
> adjustment before I can fine tune.  Today I ran into an exception--a piano I
> had pitch raised and followed up a month later last winter.  Today's tuning
> took 45 minutes.
>
> Since the customer rather likes his piano, but his partner is suggesting
> they should have a different one, I decided to use my remaining time to do
> something about its rather unfortunate state of regulation.  I focused on
> the first octave above the tenor break (B2-B3), refining the key leveling,
> increasing the dip to 10 mm, setting the letoff, adjusting hammer blow to 1
> 3/4 inches by shimming behind the hammer rest rail felt (just the one
> octave), taking up lost motion and setting the checking.  I didn't get
> around to adjusting damper timing.  Since the customer left the house
> shortly after I started tuning, I called him later, explaining what I'd
> done.  I let him know that if having that octave out of sync with the rest
> of the piano was a problem, I could easily pull the shims and readjust the
> capstans to make things more consistent.  He was happy, however, to check
> out  the results of the work, and to consider more work next time.
>
> Having read Bill Gagnon's article on the full service tuning appointment in
> the January journal, and Barbara Richmond's contribution a few months back,
> I'm interested to know how others on this list might be facing the task of
> bring a piano that is badly out of regulation back to where it needs to be .
> . . in 30 minute installments.
>
> It occurred to me as I struggled to set let-off that a useful "first
> installment" in the whole process might be sliding out the let-off rail,
> steaming/ironing the punchings, then quickly setting let-off for the whole
> scale.  I've figured out a method, based on Spurlock's article in the Tech
> Exam Source Book, of referencing letoff to the bottom of the string cut, so
> that my work won't be undone when I get around to reshaping the hammers.
> The only hesitation I have with this approach is the fact that the customer
> doesn't see really noticeable improvement in the feel of the piano from this
> first installment, and noticeable change is a powerful selling tool for
> future work.
>
> Comments?
>
> Floyd Gadd
> Manitoba Chapter

Having read all of the posts thus far I have to say I fall somewhere in the
middle.
When I arrive for a first appointment, roughly half the time there are other
problems, some notes don't work or don't work correctly, a pedal doesn't
work, etc. Unless the problem turns out to be a real big job, I'll usually
throw it in with the tuning and not charge extra. During the tuning if there
are a few blubbering hammers if they are a good indication that the piano
needs regulation, I will leave them and show them to the customer,
explaining that they will continue and there will be more to follow until it
is regulated.
I give all new customers a "free" estimate of  any repairs the piano needs,
my way of doing some customer education and trying to get them to upgrade
their piano a little.
I usually am able to schedule something for either a later time or along
with the next tuning.

So I do give away some work but not to the degree some on this thread do.
I have on occasion had situations where it was obvious the child had a great
desire to play but the parents had very limited means, I have then stretched
my "regular" tuning to include much more serviceing than usual.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404