[pianotech] Brambach Action - was Odd wippen

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 25 15:57:29 MST 2010

William said: "
Don't really know. The action came out of a piano in an attempt to
"make it work" again. A previous technician enjoyed "re-whatevering"
the thing to death. The person managed to install a new pinblock
without coving the front edge, so the fallboard can't open/close.
Well, OK, it can, but you have to unscrew the cheek blocks and remove
the fallboard to perform said action. I managed to remove enough
material to get THAT working again. And yes, it appears the previous
person really had fun hanging new hammers. Maybe he did it in situ.
That would explain the glue globs on top of all the key end felts.

There were no names/serial numbers anywhere on the piano that I could
find. Nothing on the plate, soundboard, fallboard, action, etc.
Here's a couple other photos of the action, too.

Any other regulatory suggestions welcomed. Thanks for the help so far...."

William,
Definately a Brambach! (It may have had a different name on the name board, but was made by Brambach). Bolster the "knuckles" with key bushing cloth, as the leather needs to be taunt and slightly rounded. Align the jacks as I previously mentioned. The rest is pretty much standard regulation practices. Approx. 3/8" dip was on the original action. However, with the basic "can of worms" you are dealing with, ....lotsaluck....whatever works will suffice. These actions can be quite nice when they are set up correctly. As I said, I own one. A 5'1" POS/PSO, that has it's own Anvil Case.<G> I have rented it out for lots of Community type Concerts In The Park thingees. Most pianists were pleasantly surprised at my little PSO.<G> It's painted White, since the original case/furniture was pretty trashed by the R&R Band that toted it all over the country.<G> (Long Story)
Still has it's original plain wire scale and "painted gold soundboard".<G> Bass strings were replaced, but didn't help much as the backscale is real short. Good luck on the repairs, it is possible to make it a viable piano.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police