[pianotech] Steinway "b"

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Mon Jan 25 21:22:01 MST 2010

 Subject: [pianotech] Steinway "b"

>> List,
>> I have a church account that needs market value for their mid 70's "B".
>> Teflon bushings and about a 6.5 out of 10 in overall cond. Satin walnut.
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rick Ucci/ Ucci Piano

 Steinways of that vintage are typically selling for about $1,000 per foot if they need actions, finishes, and soundboards, maybe up to $1,500 if a natural wood finish.  This assumes the piano needs everything done before it is sold. If it doesn't need a finish, subtract that from your target price.  Soundboard and block good?  that changes its worth by the price of that job, etc.
  I recently saw a really nice B, 1983, in ebony, virtually unused action and a decent soundboard.  It was bought for $27,000 and they got a good deal. So maybe that will give you some idea of what the market is doing, these days.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT