[pianotech] even touch to test ppp

peter sharp peter.piano at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 25 21:47:01 MST 2010

Interesting. Perhaps I could offer a few ideas about the variation in your strike weights of up to 6 grams.
What sort of numbers did you get for strike weight? One less gram sounds intriguing for no strike!
Regardless of friction eveness and regulation, the variation in component masses within the action key would vary the effort at the key front, and therefore the required strike weight for each key.
For instance, if the ratio is, say, 5.0 at one key, then a variation of 6 grams in strike weight represents a change of less than 1 gram at the hammer, allowing for inefficiences due to friction and internal loads within the action, such as the weight of the whippen assembly.
Therefore, any small discrepancies in hammer mass are magnified at the key front more than five-fold. Similarly for variations in key out-of-balance mass, including leading and position of the backchecks.
A slight variation in action ratio between keys (have you measured half a dozen?) will also contribute to a variation in mechanical advantage, again regardless of eveness of friction values.
Jack movement across the knuckle would also be a suspect here, and is a big factor in the ratio change as the key is pressed. Because of the non-linear, or accelarated, action displacement, any given strike weight will result in different hammer velocities, albeit difficult to measure and very slight.
In the end, my bet is that you might be expecting just a little too much from the piano mechanics.
Another thought is that the slow drop test you are using tends to give more an indication of the static friction within the action, whereas when the piano is being played, even slowly, the friction characteristic will change to a dynamic value.
I tend to rely on finger touch to feel if the pianissimo control is even, including hammer after-strike position, since the hammer will not be checking at such low dynamic. The pianist may be playing his ppp anywhere on the key, not just at the front, so we must also recognise his ability to adjust his touch as he plays. (read "his/her" for any "his" above :) )
Peter Sharp