[pianotech] Brambach Action - was Odd wippen

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 26 16:28:28 MST 2010

Not near zero friction n the hammer shank flange joint.  The set I am
putting on a Steinway A miked out with the vast majority at 2 to 3 grams,
with a couple a little above and a couple a little below.  Very consistent
but not near zero.

As for near zero friction, I don't think that would be desirable, even if
you could keep the hammer from wobbling.  I believe that pianists would feel
it more difficult to control.

As for the shank having zero flex, that would be quite an accomplishment!
No such material exists that is absolutely and infinitely rigid.  Carbon
fiber flexes and bends just like any other material, just with its own set
of characteristics.  My skis have carbon fiber in them.  The amount of
stiffness is calculated and controlled to achieve a desired flex pattern,
and that is likely true for these WNG shanks as well.  I haven't heard
anyone from WNG arguing for Zero Flex.  I can't speak for them, but I
believe that that are trying to achieve a different stiffness pattern than
wood, but with more control and consistency of that and the weight of the
shank.  Whether or not that is your cup of tea or not is for each of us to
make up our mind.

I think that, unless we have a controlled testing means, such as the ability
to move the same hammer head from a carbon fiber shank to a wood one and
back again, it would be difficult to have much certainty as to exactly what
we are hearing, since hammers themselves exert so much influence over the
tone we are hearing, and vary so much from set to set, or even hammer to
hammer.

Will Truitt