[pianotech] key bushing problem

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 20:30:39 MST 2010

David, I'd say you need a thicker cloth. However, it sounds as if you have
only three different sizes. (Thin, medium, and thick. ??) You might need a
larger variety of thicknesses. Are you using the mortise sizing cauls?

The first couple of times I did rebushing, it turned out the way you
describe. Those times I did not use the mortise sizing cauls. Now I do, and
most of those problems have gone away. And, I've learned (by trial and
error) how tight the caul needs to feel with the new cloth. It's definitely
a "feel" thing. Firm, but not difficult to press in. The way I do it, one
can lift up the key (at least slightly) by picking up on the caul stuck in
the mortise. You don't want it jammed in there, but it must be firm.

I have the 6 different thicknesses of cloth from either Spurlock or
Pianotek, but normally one size fits all now that the mortise sizing cauls
are used. I think it's the #2 cloth.

I don't do rebushing as regularly as some, but it usually turns out quite
well now that I've learned what not to do. :-)

--
JF