[pianotech] key bushing problem

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 27 14:29:06 MST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM, David Nereson <da88ve at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I rebushed a set of keys using the nylon Spurlock cauls. The pins were
> .146" so I used that size caul.  When done, the keys still wobbled laterally
> (balance rail).  This has happened a couple times now.  I had done no easing
> or ironing after removing the cauls.  Should I have used a smaller caul
> (even tho' the size I used is meant for that size pin) or thicker bushing
> cloth?  Or both?  When I initially determined what thickness cloth to use,
> by laying the trial cloth across the mortise and pushing a key pin into the
> hole, thick seemed way too tight.  Medium was just right (could be pushed
> in, but holding the key upside down, the pin would not fall out -- this is
> according to the Spurlock directions).
>   Once I steamed 'em all back out and rebushed with thicker cloth, but
> using the same cauls, and they still came out too loose (too much lateral
> play).  So do you use a smaller caul than the one intended for a given size
> pin?
>   --David Nereson, RPT

I think David Love has covered all of the points nicely.

I have had the same problem you have had and I have had the opposite problem
much too tight.
In both cases it wasn't the cauls it was my error, I was trying to get by
with the 3 thicknesses that Schaff offers.
In both cases I ended up redoing them in the correct thickness obtained from
Pianotek who offers 10 differing thicnesses, admitedly some duplicate the
Schaff trio but the other seven allow you a wider choice for a better job.
If you find those aren't enough Renner offers more.
Remember snug but not too tight or too loose, I have on occasion until I was
more practiced, glued a few and tried them on a center pin set in a scrap
piece of wood.

Good luck,

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404