[pianotech] Schimmel- strings breaking

Greg Livingston pianotuner440 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 30 16:41:38 MST 2010

Dear Friends,
I seldom post questions here, but when I do, I get great information in response.  Here's another.  A customer has a four-year-old Schimmel upright. One year ago, while tuning it, three strings broke, all near each other just below middle C. (#18 wire)  I spliced leaders on and continued with the tuning.
Another one broke today in the same part of the piano, but the lower pin is so close to the pressure bar I had a lot of trouble getting the wire into the pin hole. I decided against a splice, and took the whole string off.
I don't ram the tuning hammer;  one broken string a month is a lot for me; yet this is a lot of broken wire in an almost new piano.  Am I doing something wrong or is there something I don't know about the wire in this piano?
Thanks,
Greg

Gregory P. Livingston, Piano Tuning and Service
781-237-9178
Piano Technicians Guild, associate member (Boston chapter)

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."  We are constantly reminded of the first part, but somehow the second part gets overlooked.