[pianotech] Drill press for pin block work recommendations

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 07:13:51 MST 2010

Michael - I just read through Joe DeFazio's comments, and would say his
advise is very good. Just a couple comments I would add.

I myself have a good size Delta, which I do like and haven't had problems
with. The feature I was most interested in is the bed which tilts front to
back, making drilling on an angle easy. I attach a wide board to the bed,
tilt it up in the back and I'm good to go.

The only thing I would suggest as an alternative to Joe's comments is don't
feel you need to bolt the machine down, if it's not convenient. Mine's in a
corner, pushed back out of the way when not in use. When I pull it forward
to gain clearance on either side, I use a 5 gallon bucket full of old tuning
pins on the base of the press to add stability. With that amount of weight,
you would swear it was bolted down, then afterward you are free to move the
tool back out of the way. Just a thought, if space is a consideration in
your shop.  Chuck Behm