[pianotech] Drill press for pin block work recommendations

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sun Jan 31 10:34:19 MST 2010

I'm looking for recommendations for a drill press that would perform well for new pin block drilling.  Specific make and model or general drill press features that would work well for this task would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Michael Staples

Greetings,
    As per Nossman's example, if you double drill your pinblocks, the quality of the machine is less important than otherwise, as the procedure has sufficient self-correcting features to overcome the limitations of accuracy, at least for our use.
   So,  I would make the "how well it performs" decisions primarily on ergonomics, ie. How it fits, how big it is, how sturdy all the stuff is.  Spindle locks and indexes are good to have, and the actual feel of the thing is important.
  I have a Craftsman floor model. It was used in a guitar repair shop for approx. 5 years before I bought it.  Even after all those hundreds of guitars that were buffed out with it,(it was used mainly as a vertical buffing wheel or grinder), and 33 years of piano work, it still runs true.  It even has the same belt!  I noticed some unacceptable variability in Falconwood (single pass drilling), but with the Bolduc or Steinway blocks, it does everything I want it to do.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT