[pianotech] DC under block was Re: tuning pin tightness

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sun Jan 31 17:49:39 MST 2010

For what it's worth, when I first got to Hawaii, I saw a lot of DC under the pin block, and I moved them under the piano, where I thought they were supposed to be. But then the other tuners told me that putting them under the piano doesn't do any good, but they are needed in the action cavity. We put DC's under the pin blocks because there is enough humidity in the air, and it never gets cold, so the air, and subsequently the pin block, never dries out. What the DC does do is help keep the moisture out of the action, and thus keeps the centers free. I have noticed, however, that a lot of grands without a DC in the action cavity, do have sticking centers.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789