[pianotech] Two Plate Piano

Sy Zabrocki sypianoguy at bresnan.net
Sun Jan 31 20:23:21 MST 2010

Joe Garrett stated the other day that he had seen an upright piano with two plates, the usual one in front and another on the back.

I also found one of these in about 1975. The back plate had no action and the tuning apparently was done by chipping. I found this piano in an old store that went out of business. I dragged the thing to my shop and tried to figure it out. I eventually I took it apart and junked it.  This one in my shop had no cabinet and no action, only the strung back was left.

The name of this double plate piano was Ithaca.

Brian Becroft from New Zealand picked up on this and sent the following wed site.

http://well-temperedforum.groupee.net:80/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9030004433/m/9600093343/p/230

This is a large wed site so scroll down until you see the photo of the Ithaca upright.

You will notice the strings are backwards, the bass on the right and treble on the left.  The strings on the back plate appear to have normal bridges.

Ithaca is barely mentioned in the Pierce Piano Atlas.
Sy Zabrocki