[pianotech] butterfuly grand

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed Jun 2 15:22:52 MDT 2010

  Terry:

  I have a tuning lever head with a 5-inch extension.  When I get up to where the hammer handle would hit the side, I switch heads and just keep going.  It took a little getting used to at first, but is now second nature.  If you stand while tuning that area the feel of the lever is just like the feel with the shorter head when seated.

  At the university, all grand pianos in studios are covered with music 6 - 8 inches high (and sometimes higher).  It would take a lot of time to unload them and it's not worth it.  The only time I raised the top was if I had to replace a string lower in the scale than the highest capo section.

  dave

  Dave ,

    I feel your pain on the piles of stuff on some music room pianos.One teacher has a music system and bookshelf speakers on the lid tangled up with books and sheet music and hall passes and empty reed cases and seating plans . I've been tempted to take a more aggressive approach and just lift the lid and witness the ensuing avalance.Haven't had the nerve to date .

  Tom D.